Although you can transfer funds from a linked checking or savings account to add money to a PayPal account, the process of using a Visa card through PayPal for a large business purchase requires a different set of steps. Instead of moving part of your Visa card's available balance into PayPal, you link the card to PayPal so you can draw against that balance. When you make a purchase using PayPal, you can designate your card as the payment vehicle without the seller of your goods seeing your Visa account information.
Log in to your PayPal account. Click on the "Profile" link on your homepage and choose "Update Card" from the drop-down menu.
Click on the "Add a Card" button on the "Debit and Credit Cards" screen to link your Visa card to your PayPal account. When the "Add Debit or Credit Card" screen loads, open the "Card Type" drop-down menu and select "Visa" to reveal the data-entry fields for your card information. Enter your card number, expiration date and the three-digit verification number from the back of the card.
Verify that your card's billing address matches the home address for your PayPal account. If it differs, click on the "Enter a new address as Billing Address" radio button and enter your information in the input fields that appear below it. Click on the "Add Card" button to complete the process. PayPal confirms that your card has been added to your account.
Log in to your PayPal account. Locate the "Profile" link on the homepage and choose "My Money" from the drop-down menu. In the "My Profile" list of financial sources, find the Visa card you added to your account. Click on the "Update" link next to the listing to load the "Debit and Credit Cards" screen for your Visa card.
Click on the "Confirm My Card" and "Continue" links, or "Link and Confirm My Card" and the "Save and Continue" links, whichever appear on the listing for your Visa card. PayPal will run a $1.95 charge on your Visa card within a few days as part of a security verification procedure.
Find the PayPal charge on your Visa statement, along with the four-digit code that appears with it. Log in to your PayPal account as soon as you find this information, either on a printed or online statement. Click on the "Profile" link and choose "My Money."
Locate your Visa card in the "My Profile" list of financial sources and click on the "Update" link. When the account screen loads, click on the "Enter PayPal Code" link and type in the code from your Visa card statement. Click on the "Confirm Code" button to complete the process.
- When you confirm your Visa card on your PayPal account, PayPal will refund the $1.95 test charge within 30 days.
- If you lose your card verification code or can't find it on your statement, log in to your PayPal account and request a new code through the "Confirm My Debit or Credit Card" link in the Notifications section of your homepage.
- PayPal gives you three chances to enter your verification code. If you enter it incorrectly three times, you can't use your Visa card with PayPal until you contact Customer Service to add the card back on your account. After you do so, you can request a new verification code and complete the validation process.
- PayPal always uses any funds in your account before tapping in to your linked accounts.
- You can't link a prepaid Visa card or Visa gift card to your PayPal account.
- Enter your billing address exactly as it appears on your Visa statement. If the address you enter doesn't match, you won't be able to add the card to your account.
- Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images